Senate Education Committee Changes Plan for April 16 Hearing
04.15.2019 — On Tuesday, April 16, the Senate Education Committee was originally scheduled to hear public testimony on HB 3, the House's school finance bill. However, a revised agenda was posted early this morning. The committee will hear public testimony on 11 Senate bills instead:
- SB 722 (Campbell, et al.) would prohibit a school district board of trustees from making a severance payment to a superintendent in an amount greater than one year's salary under the superintendent's terminated contract.
- SB 725 (Lucio) relating to funding for pre-K programs at certain school districts that operate early high school graduation programs
- SB 740 (Hughes) relating to the creation of a state financing program administered by the Texas Public Finance Authority to assist certain school districts with certain expenses; granting authority to issue bonds or other obligations
- SB 784 (Hughes) includes provisions to ensure that school districts comply with the provisions of Section 28.004 and that parents are fully informed about the content of human sexuality instruction. It also requires school districts to provide the full human sexuality curriculum to parents and a detailed description of content on each class day.
- SB 1133 (Bettencourt, et al.) is identical to HB 4131 (Swanson), scheduled to be heard Wednesday, April 17, in the House Public Education Committee. It would prohibit public schools from owning or having a business interest in certain entities and real property associated with those entities.
The committee will also hear several bills related to charter schools, including:
- SB 968 (Hancock, et al.) relating to the applicability of certain laws to open-enrollment charter schools
- SB 1182 (Campbell) relating to approval by the attorney general of certain bonds financing an educational facility for certain charter schools
- SB 1454 (Taylor, et al.) relating to the ownership, sale, lease, and disposition of property and management of assets of an open-enrollment charter school
- SB 2117 (Bettencourt) relating to state funding and accountability provisions applicable to school district campuses and programs operated under school district and charter partnerships
- SB 2285 (Fallon) relating to challenges by school districts and open-enrollment charter schools to accountability determinations
- SB 2293 (Fallon) relating to the applicability of certain laws to open-enrollment charter schools
Watch the hearing live starting at 9 a.m.