Five school boards selected as 2013 Honor School Boards
This prestigious program honors school boards that have demonstrated dedication to student achievement and that make every effort to put students first. The five school boards selected as state Honor School Boards are:
- Aldine ISD, ESC 4, superintendent Wanda Bamberg
- Edinburg CISD, ESC 1, superintendent Rene Gutierrez
- Hillsboro ISD, ESC 12, superintendent Buck Gilcrease
- Mesquite ISD, ESC 10, superintendent Linda Henrie
- Wortham ISD, ESC 12, superintendent Bruce Tabor
The five school board finalists will be interviewed at the TASA/TASB Convention in Dallas and one school board will be selected as the 2013 Outstanding School Board of the year. All five Honor Board finalists, as well as the Regional winners will be recognized Sept. 27 at 4 p.m. during the First General Session in Exhibit Hall F of the Dallas Convention Center. The three Regional Honor Boards are:
- Hardin-Jefferson ISD, ESC 5, superintendent Shannon Holmes
- Livingston ISD, ESC 6, superintendent Darrell Myers
- Frankston ISD, ESC 7, superintendent Keith Murphy
The Honor Boards were selected by a committee of Texas school superintendents, chaired by James Ponce, superintendent of McAllen ISD, whose school board was named the Outstanding School Board in 2012. The selection committee’s decisions are based on specific criteria, including support for educational performance, support for educational improvement projects, commitment to a code of ethics, and maintenance of harmonious and supportive relationships among board members.
"I commend each of these school boards for their leadership and teamwork to enact policies that support and foster ongoing improvements in their districts. It is clear that each of these finalists exhibited a strong commitment to their schools, students and community," said Ponce.