- Each applicant must be enrolled in an accredited university doctoral program at the time of the award. Proof of enrollment must be provided.
- Any doctoral students in the field of education may apply, including those who are currently employed as superintendents.
- Recipients of the 2016-17 Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship must hold either an active or student membership, as appropriate, in the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA).
- Recipients of the Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship are not eligible to apply for the scholarship again; however, other applicants may reapply in subsequent years.
- Complete and sign the online application. (The application period has ended for 2016-17.)
- Upload a recent official university transcript. (If this is the applicant's first semester as a doctoral student, please provide a transcript of the applicant's master's work.)
- Upload one high-resolution digital photograph (headshot) for publicity purposes.
- Respond to the three Professional Biography statements/questions. The essays are limited to 400 words each.
- Upload one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a professor, department head, or dean of the school of education where you are currently enrolled. (This will serve as confirmation of enrollment for applicants in their first semester of doctoral work.)
- Upload one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a supervisor in the school system in which you are currently employed or if not currently employed, a letter of recommendation from a former supervisor who is familiar with your work. If you are already employed as a superintendent, provide a letter of recommendation from a current board member.
Download a PDF of the criteria, guidelines, and timeline.
If you have questions, please contact Amy Francisco
, TASA director of communications and media relations, at 512.477.6361.