Good afternoon AASA members,
Now is the time for action. Very sincerely, if there is ONE thing you
weigh in on for federal education advocacy this month, we would ask you
to submit comments in response to the U.S. Education Department’s
(USED) proposed regulation on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
Title I Supplement/Supplant (SNS) provisions. We have summary
information, slide presentations and support documentation, much of it
embedded in the details below. We are available on phone and email to
support your advocacy in this effort. Please feel free to reach out.
Our advocacy team has been very engaged on this topic, and the best
bet we have for ensuring that the final rule is an improvement over the
very flawed initial proposal is to inundate USED with feedback from the
field. That is where you come in!
WHO: YOU! AASA members!
WHAT: Please submit comments in response to USED’s latest regulation.
HOW: Follow the step-by-step process in this email, including a
template response you can personalize by inserting details specific to
your district and your district letterhead/logo. You can access this
call to action (for your use or for sharing with colleagues) on the AASA Leading Edge Blog.
WHEN: ALL comments are must be filed no later than November 7.
Our team can file comments for you, but we must receive those no later
than COB on November 1.
How to File Comments with the US Education Department (USED)
COMMENTS ARE DUE November 7.
- Draft your response comments. You can create your own comments or work from AASA’s template letter.
- Go to https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=ED-2016-OESE-0056-0001
- Click ‘Comment Now’ (the blue box in the upper right hand corner) and you will be taken to an online submittal form.
- In the ‘Comment Box’ type something like “I submit the attached
comments in response to USED’s proposed regulation on the
supplement/supplant provision within Title I of the Every Student
- Upload your file (attach your comments).
- Enter your name in the text boxes and select your
title/organization in the ‘Category’ drop down box. Please note that
there is a ‘school administrator’ option.
- Click ‘Continue’ and you will be taken to a new screen.
- Review your submission, check the box indicating that your submission may be shared, and then click ‘submit comment.’
- If you are pressed for time or need help submitting the
comments, I can submit them on your behalf. Please email me your final
comments (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than November 1, with the subject line “Please file ESSA comments.”
Share Your Letter with Your Congressional Delegation: Contact a
member of the advocacy team with any questions about who to contact
when you share your USED ESSA comments with the Capitol Hill.
Looking for related content?
AASA’s ESSA Resource Library
Review of Legal Standing for Proposed Regulations to Supplement/Supplant
AASA Webinar on Supplement/Supplant proposal
Summary of USED proposal
Thank you for anything you can do to submit comments and weigh in with USED.
Noelle M. Ellerson
Associate Executive Director, Policy & Advocacy
AASA, The School Superintendents Association
1615 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314